Court Starts Hearings to Decide Sentence for KyoAni Attack Suspect
A Japanese court started on Monday hearings to determine a sentence for a man accused of the July 2019 arson attack on a Kyoto Animation Co. studio, which killed more than 30 people.
A Japanese court started on Monday hearings to determine a sentence for a man accused of the July 2019 arson attack on a Kyoto Animation Co. studio, which killed more than 30 people.
The report said investigations could not confirm if the woman was bullied or harassed. But it said the possibility that she had suffered severe mental stress cannot be denied as she had been subject to excessively long work hours and instructions from senior performers.
Public prosecutors on Monday reiterated that a man accused of conducting an arson attack on a Kyoto Animation Co. studio in 2019 was competent to be held fully responsible for the incident that left 36 people dead and 32 others injured. The prosecutors said that the crime could be attributed to Aoba’s personality and that it was not possible to say that he had a limited capability to take responsibility.
Takayuki Okada, professor at Tokyo Medical and Dental University’s Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, testified at the 14th hearing in the trial of defendant Shinji Aoba, 45, at Kyoto District Court. As requested by the defense, Okada has conducted the second psychiatric evaluation on Aoba, after he was indicted.
A man accused of carrying out a deadly arson attack at a Kyoto Animation Co. studio in 2019 had paranoid personality disorder, but the disorder had almost no influence in the attack, a psychiatrist said Monday.
The risk of cancer patients committing suicide within two years of diagnosis is about 1.8 times higher than that for other people, a survey by a health ministry study group has found.
During questioning in the sixth hearing at Kyoto District Court, Shinji Aoba, 45, facing murder and other charges, said he learned from the arson attack against a branch of consumer finance firm Takefuji Corp., which went bust later, in the city of Hirosaki in Aomori Prefecture in 2001.
Explaining his state of mind just after the incident, Shinji Aoba, 45, facing murder and other charges, told the third hearing that he thought the police officers who came to apprehend him were public security department members because they arrived very quickly in response to the fire.
According to investigative sources, Kimura still remains silent during questioning. The prosecutors office in Wakayama Prefecture, western Japan, judged that he is capable of taking criminal responsibility, based on psychiatric evaluation conducted on the suspect for about three months until Friday.
A man accused of carrying out a deadly arson attack on a Kyoto Animation Co. studio four years ago admitted the charges in the indictment, in the first hearing of his trial at Kyoto District Court on Tuesday.
“I didn’t imagine that so many people would lose their lives, and I now think that I went too far,” Shinji Aoba, 45, said at the outset of the lay judge trial, admitting that he carried out the attack.





