Disability Japan Sagamihara

New care facility built in Kanagawa five years after nineteen disabled people were killed in July 2016

The prefectural government of Kanagawa, eastern Japan, held a ceremony on Sunday to open a new facility for disabled people that replaces Tsukui Yamayuri-en, where 45 people were killed or injured in a rampage nearly five years ago.

From Jiji Press

July 4 2021

Sagamihara City, Kanagawa Pref – The prefectural government of Kanagawa, eastern Japan, held a ceremony on Sunday to open a new facility for disabled people that replaces Tsukui Yamayuri-en, where 45 people were killed or injured in a rampage nearly five years ago.

Nineteen residents of Tsukui Yamayuri-en in the city of Sagamihara in Kanagawa were killed in the incident, which happened on July 26, 2016. The new facility, also in the city, will be used from Aug. 1.

The ceremony was attended by 45 people. “I can’t forget the incident five years ago,” Kanagawa Governor Yuji Kuroiwa said, stressing that he can never forgive the culprit although his death sentence was finalized last year.

“I now realize that we are finally back (to the place),” Kazuma Otsuki, who heads an association of families of Tsukui Yamayuri-en residents, told reporters after the ceremony.

“I want (residents) to live a joyful life at the new facility, feeling that the souls of the 19 deceased residents are watching them from heaven,” he said.

0 comments on “New care facility built in Kanagawa five years after nineteen disabled people were killed in July 2016

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: