By Barrier Free Japan with extracts from NHK
January 11th 2020
The the trial of a man accused of killing 19 people and injuring others at a care home in Sagamihara City on July 26th 2016 continued in the morning of January 10th at in the Yokohama District Court.
Satoshi Uematsu, 29, who on Wednesday who pleaded not guilty to killing 19 residents and injuring dozens more at the facility, wore mittens on the second day of his trial at the Yokohama District Court.
An account of an injured victim was heard, Kazuya Ono (46), who is the only victim to be referred to by his real name in trial, was referred to as Mr. Ono. Kazuya Ono (46), who was severely injured by a knife, which led to a police report being filed immediately after the incident.
According to the report the staff said, “Mr. Ono came out of the room after the defendant ran away. Mr. Ono said that it hurts, and I was scared but I must show my fear in front of the resident I thought, “I hurt, but do my best” and encouraged me. ”
After that, he asked Mr. Ono, who had been injured, to bring his mobile phone, and said, “He brought a mobile phone that was in the living room of the facility, so with my fingers, rather than my thumbs that were tied I called 110. ”
He also said, “Mr. Ono said,” It hurts, “but I said,” Someone will come. It hurts but I’ll do my best. ”
Mr. Ono’s father, Takashi, who responded in an interview after the hearing, said, “I thought Kazuya was stunned after being stabbed until today. I feel like I did my best and I really want to praise my son. I was listening whilst crying.”
Takashi, also said that when the degree of injury to the victim was explained, some people were crying in the auditorium inside the shield separating the family of the victims from public view.