April 22nd 2019
TOKYO — A 3-year-old girl died at a hospital she was sent to on April 21 after her stroller suddenly caught fire at an eatery in the capital’s Bunkyo Ward while her mother attended a cooking class there.
Kiori Wako from Arakawa Ward suffered burns to her head, arms and other parts of her body on April 20. Kiori’s mother, in her 40s, and her acquaintance, in her 30s, who tried to save the girl, also suffered minor burns.
According to the Metropolitan Police Department’s Motofuji Police Station, no fire was being used during the cooking class. The girl had a disability and police believe there is a possibility that an oxygen tank attached to the stroller that helped her breathe caused the fire.