Written with extracts translated from NHK
January 16th 2020
The the trial of a man accused of killing 19 people and injuring others at a care home in Sagamihara City on July 26th 2016 continued on January 16th at in the Yokohama District Court.
Satoshi Uematsu, 29, who on Wednesday who pleaded not guilty to killing 19 residents and injuring dozens more at the facility, wore mittens on the second day of his trial at the Yokohama District Court.
An account of an injured victim was heard, Kazuya Ono (46), who is the only victim to be referred to by his real name in trial, was referred to as Mr. Ono. Ono was severely injured by a knife, which led to a police report being filed immediately after the incident.
After the testimony was given, Kazuya Ono’s father, Takashi spoke outside the court to NHK. He said thst he:
“heard that the bereaved familes had been working hard, and my tears did not stop. The episodes were talked about, and I was really into it. ”
Takashi Ono also said that he was sitting in a seat where he could see Uematsu, and said: “They read my son’s real name as Kazuya Ono. But it was a pity that there was no reaction. ”
Katsunori Fujii, from the Japan Disability Council’s representative attended the trial for the first time on the 16th and heard the contents of the affidavits of the bereaved family, According ne bereaved family, ‘The defendant has severe disability. I want to live my whole life from a standpoint, “and the anger and compelling thoughts came through.”
Fujii also noted that many of the victims anonymously, saying, “I was listening while feeling like there was a small wall between society and the disabled. The nature of disability issues and discrimination I want to keep an eye on the course of the trial, which is linked to the problem. “